Könnern - Kontaktinformationen und statistische Daten

contact

Stadt Könnern
Markt 1
06420 Könnern
Tel.: 03 46 91/515-0
Fax.: 03 46 91/515-555

statistical data

mayor Mario Braumann
consulting times click here
inhabitants 8700 (inclusive all districts)
area 125 km² (inclusive all districts)

In 700 Könnern had been founded as a Sorbian settlement. A small fort had been build during the battle between the Sorbs and Francs (who crossed the river saale in 806) to protect the ways, the settlement and the Saale border. It was located on the crotch of old military roads. In 1004 or 1007 the settlement Könnern had been given to the arch diocese Magdeburg by Heinrich II. The first written mentioning of Könnern was in 1012 as conire by bishop Thietmar von Merseburg.

12In the second part of the 12. century arch bishop Wichmann arranged the build of an estate in Könnern, described as "Castle".  After frequent pawnings since 1300, Könnern was reintegrated in the arch diocese Magdeburg in 1479. A charter of the municipality Könnern of the year 1364 proves, that Könnern had a town hall and also the town charter. Today the town hall is under monument protection and had been rebuild in classical style in 1862 on the location of the previous town hall. This building had temporary accomodated a school, the police department including the prison, the district court and an inn.
The town church St. Wenzel had been build in 1491 to 1510 and took off the previous church, which became presumably too small. The church which was build in flamboyant style with its prominent tower substantial characterizes the town silhouette. The tower, older than the church itself, was later equipped with a baroque helm roof.

The wars, fires and devastating plagues of the following centuries considerable stunted the development of the town. With the dukedom Magdeburg, the Saalkreis and therefore Könnern were integrated in 1680 into the Hohenzollern state and became Prussian.

The wars of the 19. century and the both worldwars of the 20. century and their consequences demanded great sacrifices of the population of Könnern. They also caused decisive developments and changes for the town.

On 14.04.1945 Könnern was liberated from Hitler fascism by the US-forces. On 01.07.1945 soviet forces took over the areas conquered by the the allied forces, among others Saxony-Anhalt and therewith Könnern, too. Due the borders definded by the Potsdamer Treaty after the 2. worldwar, Könnern was therefore located in the soviet occupation zone. Since 1949 Könnern belonged to the territory of the German Democratic Republic. In 1952 the histrical affiliation of Könnern to the Saalkreis had been ended by a administrative reform. Könnern was integrated in the district of Bernburg.

After the reunion of the two german countries, which had been seperated since 1945, Könnern was released from the political and economical structure of socialism in the year 1990. It was the begin of the free development of the town.

Könnern is in the past like today an importend traffic junction of railways and highway routes. The town in the southern part of the district Bernburg (federal state Saxony-Anhalt) has remarkable future perspectives as an industrial center.
Since 1992 respectively 1997 Nelben and Trebnitz are areas of Könnern.
On the 01.01.2003 the municipalities Brucke, Zellewitz und Zickeritz, Golbitz and Garsena as well as Bebitz, Trebitz and Lebendorf joined the town of Könnern. In 2005 an 2010 the municipalities Beesedau, Beesenlaublingen, Belleben, Cörmigk, Hohenedlau, Kirchedlau, Mitteledlau, Sieglitz, Gerlebogk, Berwitz, Haus Zeitz, Ilbersdorf, Kustrena, Mukrena, Pfitzdorf, Piesdorf, Poplitz, Strenznaundorf, Wiendorf and Zweihausen joined the town of Könnern.